This is a Java textbook for beginning programmers that uses game programming as a central pedagogical tool to improve student engagement, learning outcomes, and retention. Game programming is incorporated into the text in a way that does not compromise the amount of material traditionally covered in a basic or advanced programming course and permits instructors who are not familiar with game programming and computer graphics concept to realize their advantages. The material presented in the book is in full compliance with the 2013 ACM/IEEE computer science curriculum guidelines and provides an in-depth discussion of graphical user interfaces (GUIs). It has been used to teach programming to student whose majors are both within and outside of the computing fields.
- Uses an objects-early approach to learning Java.
- Follows the 2013 ACM/IEEE computer science curriculum guidelines
- Integrates game programming as central pedagogical tool to improve student engagement, learning outcomes, and retention
- Uses working programs to illustrate concepts under discussion
- Complete instructor’s resource package available upon adoption